Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Touch Up| Trim or Nah?

So I was completely fed up with my new growth and the thick Jamaican Black Castor Oil was making it worse SO I finally decided to relax my hair. Here’s what went down:016
[1] Based my scalp with JBCO and applied Coconut Oil to my previously relaxed hair
[2] I mixed about 1 teaspoon of Olive Oil and Coconut Oil into the Dark & Lovely No-Lye Relaxer and applied it into the four sections of my hair. I set my timer for 20 minutes but I was done applying and smoothing the relaxer in about 18 minutes
[3] Rinsed with warm water
[4] As a mid-relaxer protein treatment I used Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus, I let it sit on my hair for about 7-10 minutes and rinsed
[5] Neutralized my hair 4 times with the shampoo that came in the kit
[6] Deep Conditioned my hair using a mix of Crème of Nature Intensive Conditioning Treatment, OGX Argan Oil and Shea Butter, Olive Oil, and JBCO (this was a very moisturizing mix by the way). I deep conditioned for about and hour with my Hot Head Conditioning Cap and rinsed with cold water
017
[7] T-Shirt dried my hair for about 30 minutes
[8] Since JBCO is a bit thick for my hair I mixed it with Olive Oil and added a few drops of Tea Tree Oil and Grapefruit oil and massaged it into my scalp.
[9] I applied Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave-In, Lottabody Moisturize Me, and sealed my hair with OGX Coconut Milk Anti-breakage Serum and allowed my hair to air dry overnight in 3 mini buns.
I flat ironed my hair the next day and lightly dusted my ends.
I am finally MBL!!!!!057 (2)
BUT, I doubt I will be here for long!
A part of me wants to wait until I my 2 year HHJ Anniversary and the end of Hairlista’s Castor Oil Challenge and the other part is ready to grab the shears and do this:
057
Either way, I'll end up trimming back to APL--- I just need a bit of courage to do it sooner rather than later. I’ll be sure to let you all know what I do. Hope you all had a great Wash Day!
The Wash Day Experience

22 comments:

  1. Congrats on finally making it to mbl but its kinda sad that ull ave to trim it back down to apl :( Cutting the two inches off now would be better so you can move on with more healthier hair...or u may choose to do it in increments but whatever you decide we'll continue to support you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Abbii, I think I'll make my final decision next Wash Day

      Delete
  2. Congrats on reaching midback! It always stinks when you feel the need to grab your shears. There's nothing wrong with trimming a little at a time (my personal preference for my own hair at the moment). LOL! But I've heard so many say how great they feel when they just take the plunge and chop all at once. Either way I think you'll be happy with your decision and we definitely support you like Abbii said. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Andrea, trimming little by little seems like a great option

      Delete
  3. Glad you listened to your instincts and relaxed your new growth! That is one burden off your shoulders right there with having to deal with two textures. A positive I see in going ahead and cutting back a few inches is that you would be a very full APL right now. There is strength in numbers so with most of your hair at an even length, you will probably experience less breakage at the ends. I look forward to seeing what you decide. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristal, I could not take it anymore, I'll usually more patient with my hair!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on MBL! Girl I know the feeling, looking at all the inches you have to trim... but you can trim off say an inch a month? or trim to just above the Bra (BSL) and really really really baby your hair, or you could go brave (eeeks!) and chop to APL, woi! I know the pain, lol. I'm all about the gradual, but its up to you girlie! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel, I just want thicker ends that why I was considering just chopping to APL

      Delete
  5. Yay! You made it to MBL!! I agree with Rachel. Maybe you can trim a bit at a time so it won't be so drastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uzoma! MBL was my ultimate hair goal, but these raggedy ends make me sad

      Delete
  6. *Throw the Confetti! Pop the bottles* Congrats on making it to MBL!

    Whatever you decide to do---your hair is going to look and feel AMAZING!

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience chica!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on making it to MBL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on making MBL. I'm sure your hair will bounce back in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tomi! I just want to wake up with thick ends already lol!

      Delete
  9. Congrats on making it to MBL, maybeyou should do a small trim each wash day until you are satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, that's another great option!

      Delete
  10. MBL! that's where i want to get to! i really wish there was a way to subsribe to your blog so i get posts via email Harlem... help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, MBL is my ultimate length goal and I am so sad to see that I have to trim it.
      I will definitely work on that for you Kangopie, thanks for requesting it!

      Delete
  11. Congrats!!!!!
    I think you should wait until after the castor oil challenge. I have heard a lot of people say (though I don't know how true this is) that castor oil helped thicken their ends. I don't know how that could be possible, but it's been said quite a bit. Maybe just do a small trim now and reassess after the challenge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Britt that's a good idea! I keep going back in forth because I feel that holding on to those thin ends may be more detrimental to my hair. They say thin ends are a sign of split ends and if that's true I don't want to make it any worse.
      I too give my computer the side eye when I hear girls say that JBCO thickens the hair, but we will see.

      Delete