Monday, December 29, 2014

Best of 2014|The Hits and Misses

I cannot believe this year is over. I learned a lot about my hair this year, especially what it loved and loathed. Here’s a recap of 2014 for my hair:
HITS:
  • Wigs:  I used to be the one to say I would never wear a wig, but when you are deep into stretching your relaxer or just pressed for time wigs are the way to go! 002I can be whoever I want to be and fix my wig --- Sheba, as I like to call her, anyway I want. Wigs give my hair and I a much needed break from one another.
  • ACV Rinses: I discovered this late in the game…like last week, but better late than never. ACV has many benefits for you hair but I use it primarily to relieve my itchy winter scalp. I used it during my most recent wash day and can you believe I have not had any scalp troubles since.
  • Braid-outs: I love a good  braid-out so much you mind as well call it my signature hair style. It gives my hair the volume and texture that I want and it seems to get better as days go by. The messier the better, even the humidity makes it even more fabulous! 001
  • Hot Head Deep Conditioning Cap: I picked this up during the Black Friday Sale. Lord knows I had absolutely no intention on buying a bulky/expensive steamer or dryer, so this was a great substitute. I learned that using the old school method of deep conditioning with just a plastic cap and body heat was not doing any justice to my hair. This conditioning cap is everything and definitely a keeper going in to 2015. 120
  • Figuring Out What My Hair Really Needs (Sorta): This is the most special highlight of 2014 for me. Hair journeys are not easy, but when in doubt or whenever you feel like you have no idea what your doing, assess your regimen and the products that your using. Figure out what works and cut all the extra stuff out. Keeping it simple is so much better, less headaches and less hair lost!
Product Hits: Kurlee Belle Thirsty Kurls Leave-in Conditioner, Crème of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo and Intensive Deep Conditioner, Lottabody Moisturize Me, HairVeda Sitrinillah Deep Conditioner (Applied on Dry Hair), HairVeda Red Tea Nourishing Conditioner, Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Shampoo and Conditioner, Tresemme Naturals Conditioner, Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner

MISSES:
  • Braid-outs: Braid-outs this year have been my best friend, especially during the summer. The drawback--- all the breakage I get when its time to detangle.
  • Breakage: Speaking of breakage, this has been my nemesis this year. It was mostly due to how I handled my hair but I also think that it may be due to my most recent stretch, it was the longest stretch since beginning my hair journey at 25 weeks. In 2015 I think I’ll stick to 12-16 week stretches.
  • Itchy Scalp: Winter came early and it brought me a dry, itchy scalp. I won’t be bringing this problem into the new year with me thanks to ACV though.
Product Misses: HairVeda Sitrinillah Deep Conditioner (Applied on Wet Hair), Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave-In Conditioner, ORS Olive Oil Hair Lotion, Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk Cleansing Conditioner, L’Oreal EverCrème Cleansing Conditioner

What were the highlights of 2014 for you ladies? Be sure to link up over at SavingOurStrands



7 comments:

  1. You have way more hits than misses which is awesome. All the best for 2015

    ReplyDelete
  2. SitriNillah is so hit or miss for some...it's a hit for me. I had an itchy scalp this year and I never dealt with that before but tea tree oil really helped. I too tried my hand at wigs and love it! I'm glad you're loving your Hot Head!!! Yay....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had some misses, but I am happy with where I am right now. I wish you length for 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your braid outs are absolutely gorgeous but I totally understand wanting to go with styles that require less manipulation. I'm sprinkling a little positive pixie dust on your 2015. It's gonna be great!

    Thanks for linking up!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a pretty good year!
    Your braid outs are cute!
    I am still trying to figure things out with this new head of hair, but I hope I'll get it together in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wigs are everything!!!
    *Besos*
    http://www.cmichellestyles.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos for all those hits, girl! I am so with you on the wigs. I used to always say I wouldn't wear them, but now I wear them all the time. Half of the time folks don't know if it's a wig or a weave anyways! You are reminding me that I need a hot head in my life also. I gotta grab one of those up soon.

    I wish you the best of luck with your hair goals this year, boo!

    ReplyDelete