Thursday, November 6, 2014

Review| Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave-In Conditioner

Price: $10.99 (16 oz) at CVS

Promise: “This reparative leave-in conditioner softens and detangles hair while controlling014 frizz. Perfect for those who regularly color, straighten, perm or heat style their hair, as well a kinky, curly or wavy natural styles. Formulated with Jamaican Black Castor Oil and certified organic Shea butter to nourish, moisturize and support elasticity so hair resists breakage while detangling. Conditioners provide a protective layer that improves the appearance of split ends. Peppermint stimulates the scalp for an invigorating experience.”

First 5 Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride

Note: For some odd reason the ingredient listing on the packaging differs from the ingredient list on the website, as in the ingredients aren’t listed in the same order, so I just went was on the package.

I’ve used this leave-in in 3 different ways--- as a leave-in, a pre-poo, and a daily moisturizer.

Hands down, I like it best as a pre-poo treatment on dry hair. This stuff does live up to its promise to aide in detangling because the slip is crazy, I usually put a glob on my hair and proceed to detangle. I find it works best as a pre-poo when you incorporate some type of heat (body heat is good enough), when I take my plastic cap off my new growth just sprang up and felt really moisturized and soft.

On freshly washed hair, using it as a leave-in is great due to its slip, but I don’t particularly care to use it as such because of the lingering scent.

When I use this as a pre-poo or leave-in I glob it on  my hair, but I make sure to go pretty light when using it as a daily moisturizer. Even though I am careful with how much I apply to my hair, it ends up feeling greasy and I can’t use it consecutively because it feels like there is  a film on my hair.

From the look of the packaging you would think the leave-in would be a smooth cream but its consistency is a little on the runny side and looks and feels kind of slimy.

And as for the smell—I’ve seen some describe it as tropical or say it smells of vanilla, I’ve even heard someone say that is smelled like Play-Doh. I agree with the latter, whatever scent Shea Moisture was going for I am not here for it.  In fact, I don’t use it unless I know I’m gong to be washing it out.

Even though it helps me detangle my hair, I won’t be purchasing this again. This is only the second product that I have tried from Shea Moisture and I want to love them so bad based on the reviews I’ve read, but hey if it doesn’t work for my hair than it just doesn’t work.

Have you tried any products from the Shea Moisture JBCO line? If so, what were the pros and cons of the product?

3 comments:

  1. Well that sounds like a no go for me. I've been interested in the new JBCO line. I love that it has great slip, but I'm like you, I wouldn't want to use a leave in that doesn't smell too good. Sorry it didn't work for you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried anything from Shea Moisture, period. I tend to be too generous when applying products too. I love your honest review. It's too bad it did not really work for your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the Manuka Honey Shampoo! It stripped my hair badly.

    ReplyDelete