These past two weeks I have noticed a significant amount of breakage at the line of demarcation. I have a lot of fuzzy regions at the crown of my head and in areas where I frequently part my hair. Breakage is never a good thing, but I know that the cause of my breakage is ---me.
The main cause of my breakage has to do with how I am handling my hair. Here’s what I plan to do to bounce back:
- Be gentle: Patience is something that I have always lacked. Sometimes I get frustrated when trying to detangle my hair and I end up having more hair casualties than needed.
- Finger Detangle: This is something fairly new for me, although I have heard many bloggers using this method I just could not get into it. Even though I only use wide tooth combs I plan on completely putting them away during the week and leaving full detangling sessions for Wash Day which may turn into every other Wash Day.
- Switch up the way I am parting my hair: Self explanatory. Most of the time I part my hair into the traditional four sections. I just have to stop that.
- Protective Styles: Most of my damage is caused from over manipulating my hair. I love, love braid-outs, but can you believe that to maintain them throughout the week I re-braided my hair every night?! So TTYL braid/twist-out and Hello (again) buns!
- Moisturize and Seal (M&S): Your probably scratching your head on this one, but breakage can also be cause by dry hair. To be honest, this whole summer my M&S sessions have been few and far between. I will moisturize and seal my hair on Wash Day and fuhgettaboutit until the next Wash Day.
So the main takeaways are be careful with how I am handling my hair and actually set aside time to actually take care of it. Some have asked if the breakage was due to any of the products I use and my answer is no. Some have also suggested that I use protein to strengthen my hair and that is something that I have already implemented. Again, it all boils down to me and how I handle my hair.
How do you deal with breakage?
Feel free to share any tips!