Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Wash Day

13 weeks post and after a great wash day this past week managing my hair been easy. I even rocked a braid out for the first time this week.. twice! Box braids were a no go due to my  lack of patience and technique. The task seemed so easy when I was looking at the YouTube video… I was looking to go to a salon to get it done but I’m cheap frugal and I just refuse to pay someone over $100 for a style I only plan to keep for 3 weeks. My hair and I need a break from each other so I am still looking for a protective style… wig maybe?? I don’t know about that one, but onto my most recent Wash Day:
Prepped my hair by parting in 3 sections

[1] Pre-poo: I applied As I Am Hydration Elation to my new growth only and applied a hot oil treatment to my scalp and the rest of my hair and detangled my hair. The hot oil treatment was a mix of Avocado Oil, Safflower Oil, and Lavender Oil. I covered my hair with a plastic cap and let it sit for about 2 hours.445

[2] Shampoo: Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Sulfate –Free Shampoo 2x’s

[3] Tea Rinse: Green Tea mixed with Peppermint Oil and let it sit on my hair for 3-5 minutes.

[4] Conditioner: Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Conditioner, covered my hair with plastic cap and let it on for about 2 hours

[5] Leave-ins: Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk (LOVE!) and sealed it in with my personal oil mixture. I banded my hair and let it air dry which helped stretch my new growth and left my with smooth hair.

This Wash Day took place in the shower again. I may be wasting a ton of water but with every step I can make sure my hair does not have any tangles in it, which makes me happy because the last thing I want to do is add more hours to my Wash Day with detangling my hair.

How was your most recent Wash Day?

Does your Wash Day take place in the kitchen sink or in the shower?
The Wash Day Experience

19 comments:

  1. I've only used the sink once in an emergency, ha. The rest of the time I wash over the edge of the tub.

    I definitely think you should give the braids a try! I did mine by myself for the first time a few years ago and they turn out fine as long as you know how to do a braid. With practice you'll be able to make them tighter to last longer but as you're only leaving them in for 3 weeks, the looseness shouldn't be too much of an issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i really want to try it out but I could not make a braid for nothing in the world :( i'll try again next week

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh, I'm adding peppermint oil to my next tea rinse! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it makes your scalp tingle which feels sooo good! tell me how you like it

      Delete
  3. Awww! I hope that you try your box braids again chica! My hair (and my daughters, and my sons...lol) hated the CD Hair Milk.

    KLP | SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll think about it.. but my new growth really likes the hair milk

      Delete
  4. I use to love Carol's Daughter but haven't used those products in a very long time. I see they are now offered in Target. The ones I checked had protein in them so that immediately wiped them off my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a double take when reading the ingredients on the label and even the hair smoothie has some form of protein in them. Does your hair respond badly to all types of protein?

      Delete
  5. Your wash day seemed pretty easy. I Also don't see the point in paying so much for a style that I wont keep for long. I prefer to just bond with my hair nowadays. I too can't do box braids! And you know what else? two strand twists with my own hair! (Hides face)

    http://scarletgoal.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be ashamed, I just learned how to cornrow last year lol and I still have trouble cornrowing my own hair

      Delete
  6. I am glad you had a good hair day. I love your steps too. My day was super awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy to hear you had a good wash day! where do get those samples from?

      Delete
  7. My wash days always take place in the shower. Its not wasting water, its for a good cause :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so get you, aint no body has time to spend $100 for a 3 week hair do! I tried the whole self braiding last year, it took me a full day 9-5, but it was so worth it (if u have time to kill)

    Great wash day, anything to keep those tangles at bay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My patience is shot just reading that lol

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My wash days only take place in the shower. I've tried the sink and all I get is a mess of water on the kitchen floor. I ca n detangle better when I'm in the shower. Also, I don't like the idea of having my shed hair in the kitchen sink.

    growingrelaxedhair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this little thing that catches all of my hair when I do use the sink but hovering over the sink makes my back hurt and doing my hair in the shower is so much easier for me and my hair and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete