Sunday, October 27, 2013

Winterizing Your Hair Regimen

The weather is getting cooler and with those low temperatures comes dryer air which is caused by a lack of moisture and humidity. Less moisture in the air—Well that’s a bad set up, for relaxed and natural heads. Not to mention, we will be bundled up in coats and hats, and the heater in our homes will be on constant blast. It’s best to start tweaking our regimens now so that our hair won’t suffer through the long winter weather.

Personally, I know that when the cooler months come around my scalp and hair are extremely dry and it sheds like crazy. So to combat dry hair, I will be incorporating more M&S (moisturizing and sealing)sessions throughout the week.Instead of M&Sing every other day I will increase it to everyday. I love my Soultanicals Knot Sauce, but this winter I would rather opt for a thicker moisturizer. I plan on sealing the moisture in with a heavy butter such as Hairitage Hydration’s Silk n’Aloe Cream. To make sure my scalp is in shape, I plan on doing daily scalp massages using my favorite oil concoctions.

We all know that frequent shampooing strips your hair of natural oils, so those wash n’gos may be a no-go with dry winter air. To prevent losing natural oils many relaxed heads opt for pre-poos. Instead of using a cheapie conditioner for a pre-poo I will do hot oil treatments and add eucalyptus oil to the mix. Eucalyptus oil is not only said to stimulate the scalp but also get rid of dandruff, which I often suffer from this time of year.

Ladies, be sure to check your coats—at least the material its made out of. I love my cute wool pea coats and crochet beanies, but that material can not only suck the moisture out of your hair but hair can also snag and break on the material. It is a good idea to make sure your hair is up and away from the material especially your ends.

How Do You Winterize Your Regimen?

1 comment:

  1. Winter is all about updos and amped up moisturizing for me. Great post Harlem!

    KLP | SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete