Sunday, September 22, 2013

Relaxer Touchup

Hello ladies,
Today is the day, time for my touchup. I initially set a goal of stretching my relaxer for 12 weeks but that just didn’t happen this time around, but I will settle for 10.
I prepped my hair Friday afternoon by detangling and putting my hair in 4 braids. I did this to cut out manipulation of my hair on touchup day and also prevent my scalp from being irritated.

IMG_1708
[1] I had someone apply Dark & Lovely No-Lye Relaxer in Regular strength to the 4 sections of my hair the application time took about 26 minutes, which is a bit to long for my liking.
[2] I neutralized with Optimum Advance Keratin Recovery Shampoo. I opted for this shampoo because it provides my hair with strength mid-relaxer. I shampooed 4 times to ensure all of the relaxer was out of my hair.
[3] Tea Rinse+ Deep Conditioner: I am experimenting a little with this one. Usually on my Wash Days I separate these two, but for one, I think it will cut some time out of the whole Wash day process if I combine the two, and two, I did not feel like I was leaving the tea on my hair long enough to receive the benefits from it. So I used a mixture of chamomile, lavender, and green tea and sprayed it all over my hair really concentrating on my roots and scalp and let it sit on my hair for about 4 minutes before applying my deep conditioner. My deep conditioner was a mixture of TRESemme Naturals with Aloe and Avocado oil, coconut oil, and Organix Argan Oil and Shea butter. This was a great deep conditioner mix that I’ll have to try again because it seemed to melt into my hair. I covered my hair with a plastic bag, followed by a microfiber towel, and topped it with a plastic shower cap to lock in all of the heat and allowed it to sit for an hour and forty minutes.
[4] I lightly sprayed ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer on my hair but concentrating more on my ends. I applied the moisturizer that came with the relaxer kit, Healthy Gloss 5 Moisture Hair Creme while my hair was still damp and sealed it in with Grapeseed oil.
To give my hair a rest I decided to flat iron and trim it the following day. But overall the relaxer went well I jsut wish my roots weren’t bone straight.
IMG_1717 IMG_1723
                        (Top to Bottom: Air dried hair, pre-trimmed flat ironed hair)
I used Organix Anti-Breakage Serum before I flat ironed my hair. Initially, I was going to attempt to cut layers in my hair, but after I finished flat-ironing my hair I felt kind of emotional with cutting my hair, and that was a first for me. My hair is something I take care of and nurture, it was so hard to imagine cutting so much off, so I just decided to put layering my hair on hold until I get it exactly where I want it. So I just did the old Feye’s Self trim and I cut about half an inch off. Since I have fully committed to growing out my bangs I just lightly dusted the ends.

IMG_1724 IMG_1725 IMG_1726  
(Top L to R: My bangs before the trim, Final Results of trimmed hair; Bottom: the amount I cut ( its not a depiction of ALL of the hair, just some))
IMG_1729IMG_1730
Overall I like the results and I was surprised to see that I am not that far from BSL. Yay!

When is your next touch-up?
What are your hair goals for 2013?

Sorry for the quality of the pictures, I need to replace my camera.

6 comments:

  1. Your hair looks great, I'm not sure when I'm going to do my touch up, I want to do it for my birthday but I also want to stretch until the end of the year lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, all girls want birthday hair. But if you do decide to stretch that long, good luck! I'm still a rookie so I don't think I could make it, but then again the weather is changing...

      Delete
  2. You're getting so close to BSL! Congrats on a worry-free touch up!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete